Italtel: not only TLC but also IoT
Italtel and the Internet of Things
- being about specific aspects of IoT (energy, lighting, mobility, etc.)
- difficulty to integrate sensors and devices of different kind, by expected
- effort to deal further IoT sectors.
In this direction, Italtel provided the Service Centre, characterized by:
- a standard ETSI M2M platform.
- a software architecture:
- ready to use existing company assets
- open to extension of vertical applications that the market sector could gradually request
- based on oM2M, a software open source platform developed by CNR France; the software architecture consists of common modules usable by all applications and a reusable framework to implement additional vertical applications
- a standard gateway M2M-ETSI focused on:
- portability of innovative services created on remote sites
- segregation of the functionality and the traffic, and to improve safety and to organize hierarchically the whole system
- management of the communication channel with the adapter, by virtualizing the complexity of communication between sensors and remote devices (also legacy)
- An adapter able to:
- interconnect any type of sensor and device, regardless of channel type and exchanged signals
- communicate with the Service Centre according to paradigm M2M-ETSI, converting legacy and “not smart” sensors and devices into standard and “smart” ones.
The adapter has been based on micro-processor Arduino Yùn that allows to add specific shields for interfacing as: serial, ethernet, wi-fi, bluetooth, zigbee, etc and where is loaded a small operating system Linux to build functionalities of adapting standard M2M-ETSI.
- Monitoring and management of parking lots and vehicles (propulsion vehicles innovative hybrid, electric/hydrogen)
- Optimization Lighting of wide areas (public or private) through multiservices integrated systems (lighting, weather stations detection, wi-fi hotspots, video surveillance, metering) that, also communicating with the power supply network (PLC) can meet the needs of the customer without additionally having extra and expensive infrastructure
- Management of energy consumption data of users federated, according logic like Market Led, System Led, Demande-Response
- Command actions on energy systems with renewable energy sources, innovative storage systems, H2/electric charging stations, to get the wanted energy balances
- Systems management of infrastructure and controlled devices
- Collection/forwarding of data from standard interfaces (M2M-ETSI and web services) towards north-bound systems
- Web GUI for operator and App for user
- University of Palermo
- CNR ITAE. Innovative hybrid vehicles (electric and hydrogen), complex energy system with innovative energy technologies
- TRE-Tozzi Renewable Energy. Complex energy system with innovative energy
- Exalto. Design, with Italtel, and implementation adapter based over microprocessor for sensors/devices IoT, App and App server for SCC and IoT services
- Itatel. Design, development and integration of:
- System Multiservice Poles. Hw infrastructure and networking based on a system of LED lighting able to host a wide range of devices and sensors, moving informations through its power supply network (PLC). In the project solution are integrated: weather stations, video cameras, wi-fi hotspots.
- Service Centre general purpose. Hw and sw infrastructure that connects, controls and commands IoT sectors (Internet of Things) supplying SCC services (Smart City & Communication), (Mobility, Lighting -solutions system multiservices poles developed by Italtel-, Building & Grid management) but also enables any further IoT and SCC sector.